ATMs are a great convenience. But they can compromise safety and require some awareness and planning. Most ATM robberies occur at night between 8pm and midnight.
Tips to make this process a little safer:
- Try to limit your use to daylight hours especially if it is walk-up ATM.
- Try not to go alone and scan the area to make sure there are no suspicious persons standing nearby or sitting in a car. (Robbers often approach from the rear of the driver’s side)
- If the lights around the machine are not working, do not use the ATM.
- Remove your card and cash quickly. Memorize your PIN number so that you cannot lose or have the sheet taken from you.
- Do not wear expensive jewelry or bring valuables so as to make you a target.
- Do not count the cash at the machine or in public, wait until you are in the car.
- Avoid ATM’s on corners that create blind spots or have a lot of shrubbery.
- If you are approached by an assailant who demand the money, comply.
Photo Credit: TaxCredits.net