In preparation, for fire safety week the first week of October(5-11) here are some home safety tips and facts for you to keep in mind throughout that year.
The leading causes of homes fires are: cooking, heating, electrical equipment, candles and other smoking materials. In light of this list, here are some ways to protect your home
- Check Electrical Cords: replace or repair any damaged cords
- Attention Smokers: Smoke outside, if you are smoking inside, use deep, wide ash trays on a sturdy table
- Smoke Detectors: Make sure yours is working with fresh batteries
- Heating Equipment: keep all flammable items within at least 3 feet of the heating equipment
- Cooking Safety: Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling or broiling food
- Candles: blow out candles when you leave the room or go to bed