Mold loves to grow where moisture is present. Mold spores drift through the air and land on moist surfaces such as damp wood, paper, carpet, food, ceiling tiles, insulation, drywall, wallpaper, or fabric they can grow and spread.
Mold can cause respiratory issues, asthma and allergies, particularly in infants and the elderly. While we can’t eliminate mold, to avoid potential harm to buildings and occupants, here are some steps to keep mold from growing in our working and living areas.
- Clean up spills immediately and inspect sinks and cabinets for standing water
- Keep areas of window condensation clean and dry
- Do not put carpet in bathrooms
- Repair leaky plumbing, windows, etc
- Use a dehumidifier to maintain a relative humidity
- Maintain roofing, roof gutters, and drainage systems properly
- When repainting in moist rooms, use a mold inhibiting agent in the paint
- Repair cracks in basement walls and slope landscaping away from the building
- Use kitchen and bathroom exhaust fans, and open a window, when steam and moisture are in the air