Entering auto thefts happen frequently and are most often a crime of opportunity. Meaning that this occurs when doors are unlock or windows are open. Keeping that in mind here are some tips to prevent these types of auto theft.
- While at home use a garage to store your vehicle. Make sure all doors are locked and windows are closed even when at home.
- Remove items/valuable from plain view. Examples of this are loose change, purses, electronics and other items of value.
- Always park in public areas that are frequented by pedestrians. Avoid parking in isolated areas.
- Secure items on a truck such as the tool box, trunk and hatches.
- If you hear anything suspicious such as shattering glass, call 911. Same goes for if you see someone looking into cars.