It is becoming more and more common to meet strangers with internet shopping with such sites as Craigslist. But it is important that you think of precautions that need to be exercised for a safe transaction.
Here are a few things to think about.
- Use Common Sense and your instincts during communication with the other party.
- Try to speak with them on the phone as well as text interactions, this means that if they are claiming to be a 20 year old girl and sound like a 40 year old man, there may be a problem.
- Meet in a public place, preferably at a local police station, that is well lit with a lot of people around.
- Do not invite strangers to your home for the exchange, even if it is a large piece or furniture or along those lines for the purchase.
- Try to bring someone with you.
- Tell family and friends where you are going and/or check in on social media sites.
- Be especially careful if you are buying/selling high value items.
- Only bring the amount of cash that is agreed upon, if you bring extra store in a different location. It is not a good idea to have extra bills you are flipping through when handing the seller the agreed upon amount.
- Bring your cell phone along.
- Trust your instincts.