As drivers we should do all that we can to avoid accidents. But if you are in an accident, it is important that you do what you can to make a stressful situation go a little smoother and avoid making the situation worse.
Here are some thins to practice and that should be automatic in this situation.
- Report: Not matter who is responsible, accidents need to be reported.It is a criminal offense to leave the scene of an accident, so stick around.
- Move: If your vehicle is drivable, move the vehicle off of the road.
- Stay: Stay at the scene of the accident until the police arrive unless you need medical attention.
- Call: Make the calls to police, insurance, home and office as needed.
- Data Collection: Get License numbers from vehicles involves, names and contact information.If there was any property damage surrounding , get the names of the owners, address and contact info.
- Don’t discuss: Do not discuss fault or argue with the other parties involved. One should be calm and businesslike at the accident scene.
- Take Pictures: If you have a camera or your phone, take pictures from different angles including directions the vehicles approached the accident location.
- Record: Make a written statement while all of the details are fresh in your mind. This will also need to be provided to your insurance company.
Hopefully, you will not need to use these tips, but just in case there they are.